The UK Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery Registrar interviews in 2019 were on the 26th, 27th and 28th March at the Leeds United Football Stadium. They are normally at the end of March or April.
There are normally upwards of 300 people interviewed over the week and you will have the opportunity to pick which time slot you want on a first come first serve basis. The interviews are done in circuits of 5 stations each lasting 15 minutes and run in a similar format to MRCS (Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons) examinations or OSCEs (Objective Structured Clinical Examinations) from medical school.
Candidates arrive on the day at one of three times (09:00/12:00/14:00) depending on when your interview is booked. There is then a wait of about an hour while documents are checked and portfolios are taken off to be looked through. You are then called into your groups and taken to different floors of the stadium. You start sat outside of a room with station instructions on the door and then work your way round the circuit. There are 5 x 15 minute stations with 5 minute breaks in between each one.
The stations for the Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery Registrar interviews 2019 are as follows:
- Portfolio station – a look through your CV and portfolio of achievements and an opportunity to validate self-assessment questions asked during the application
- Clinical – two clinical scenarios to test your orthopaedic knowledge
- Interactive (communication skills) – two scenarios with an actor/actress
- Technical skills – a hands on practical station to test your operative skills
- Presentation and list planning – give a short presentation that you prepare before the day and then organise the following days trauma list
For the relative weighting of points for each station see Scoring System.
For more information about each station and how to maximise your score as well as example interview questions sign up to our question bank.
To sign up to the OrthopaedicPrep mailing list and be the first to hear about updates for the 2020 ST3 application and interview round, click here.