The 2024 Orthopaedic ST3 interviews will be conducted online between the 18th and 21st March. The interview is 60 minutes long and made up of 4 x 10 minute sections with a few minutes gap in between.
The four sections of the Orthopaedic ST3 interviews 2024 are as follows:
Commitment to specialty –
- This section focuses on your career and experience to date
- Domains assessed include Career Motivation, Learning and Development, Leadership and Team Involvement, Organisation and Planning, Communication (Information Giving), and Academic
- This section tests your clinical knowledge and clinical anatomy
- You will be given one or more scenarios and asked questions about the assessment, investigation and management of the case in question
- Domains assessed include Technical Knowledge, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Situational Awareness, and Communication (Information Gathering and Information Giving)
- This section involves a handover and list planning exercise – this typically simulates an evening handover where you roleplay as the incoming night registrar with several patients from the day on call that need review and organising for the following days trauma list
- Domains assessed include Organisation and Planning, Communication (Information Gathering and Information Giving), Judgement Under Pressure, and Situational Awareness
- This section will be a scenario involving communication with a patient (usually played by an actor or member of the panel)
- Domains assessed include Technical Knowledge, Situational Awareness, Judgement Under Pressure, and Communication (Information Gathering and Information Giving)
For more information about each station and how to maximise your score as well as example interview questions sign up to our question bank.
Please note: the information above is based on the T&O ST3 Applicant’s Handbook and our experience of previous year’s selection rounds but is all subject to change.
To sign up to the OrthopaedicPrep mailing list and be the first to hear about updates for the 2024 ST3 application and interview round, click here.